Friday, 8 September 2017

Summer 2017 - Part 2

 Three months has gone by since I last posted and we've had a few days out and I've done some crafting and just generally pottered through the summer.

I've lacked motivation this year so far and my depression has reared its' ugly head from time to time during the summer so I haven't achieved anything like the amount of things I could have if I'd been in a better place.

Anyway, here's want I have been doing!


From March 2016 to this August I've done no machine quilting at all, I've not been to any quilt shows or bought much fabric, nor have I started any new quilts - 

but, in August I decided to get this quilt out - this is the year I am going to finish this quilt! It is for our king size bed.

 These 12" star blocks (to my own pattern) made with Moda French General have been in process since at lease 2014! It is time it was finished!


All the blocks are complete. I am using the 'quilt as you go' method so all the blocks are sandwiched and quilted. One row of 8 blocks is completed including the hand sewing on the back, another row is stitched together awaiting its' hand sewing and the rest of the blocks need trimming down and the sashings sewn on, so it could be finished by the end of September if I get a move on!



I have gone through all my projects that have been started and decided which I am going to finish and which I was getting rid of. This cardigan is an item that's been on the needles for years and it needed very little doing to it, it is now finished apart from weaving 3 ends in and sewing a button on.


 I really like it! I knitted the 2 fronts an the back together so I wouldn't have to sew up the side seams, I also knitted the sleeves on DPNs, again so no seaming! The yarn used was Rowan Felted Tweed, the colorway 151 Bilberry.

I liked this pattern so much I've stated it again, using Sirdar Harrap Tweed colourway 107 Shelley, which is a lot cheaper! It is a very similar yarn to felted tweed but slightly thicker. 


It's a great knit whilst watching Netflix!


These socks are another thing that has been on the needles for a long time. The first sock was finished except grafting of the toe. I have had real difficultly doing the grafting because I'm left handed but after watching You Tube videos and blogs I've managed it, it's not as neat as it should be but I should get better with practice! I do love knitting socks and these fit me really well.


 I use this basic pattern - Super Simple Sock Pattern by Allison Sarnoff. It is a free pattern on Raverly.


I have also cast on a shawl too! The pattern is the Oaklet shawl by Megan Goodacre and it is another free pattern on Raverly. I am knitting it in West Yorkshire Spinners Signature 4 ply in the colour way 530 Pennyroyal. This yarn is a standard sock weight yarn and comes in self striping colours as well as solid colours. It is lovely to knit with.  



I have started decorating my house for Autumn and I decided the other day I wanted a Autumn themed table runner. I had this Moda charm pack 'Awesome' by Sandy Gervais for ages and thought it fitted the bill nicely. I thought I would do a 3 block disappearing 9 patch so I sewed the 3 blocks and started to cut the 1st one to turn it into the 'disappearing' bit and made a right old mess of it so I put it away for another day!



I am also crocheting 'Attic 24's' Hydrangea blanket, I did a couple of rows this week but it will be on hold now as I take my Mum on holiday next week.


This is my charity knitting that I do when I go to a charity knitting group every fortnight. We knit baby blankets and hats for our local hospital. So far I've knitted one hat and a blanket.



And our biggest news of this summer is that we now have a baby grandaughter!  Meet little Miss Gromit, who looked just like her brother when she was born.

She was born on 22nd July at 19.19, weighing 11 pounds 9 ozs.


and here she is today, 7 weeks tomorrow! She has been helping me write this post today!



I did buy a little bit of fabric! - Moda Nanette, for Little Miss Gromit of course, as she has to have her own quilt!

4 comments:

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

Congrats on the new grandbaby. I'll have one next February. Everything looks great, but, I love those socks. Hope to hear from you more often.

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

2nd try. The last comment bounced back to me.

mamasmercantile said...

Congratulations on becoming a Grandparent again, she certainly is adorable. Lots of great makes on the go, I love the king size quilt, stunning.

Sue said...

Wow, you have some nice projects to work on. What fun to have a little girl to knit and sew for. I too have been fighting depression this summer and it has interfered with my creativity which makes me sad.