Tuesday, 1 March 2016

Scraps & current projects

At the moment I am finding myself worrying about scraps! We all have them don't we? We cut into lovely fabric to make quilts and then we end up with loads of scraps and we wonder what to to do with them. I do keep them organised and I put them into boxes as I go. I keep 1.5", 2", 2.5, 3.5" and 5" squares and strips.

8.5" unfinished block using 4 patch out of 1.5" squares and 2.5" squares

My 1.5" and 2.5" boxes are getting quite full so I what to make something out of them. I thought I would make a couple of lap quilts using the blocks above. I belong to a Facebook page that lists various causes that are asking for quilts. I am going to sew these up as my leader & ender project (see Bonnie Hunter)

HSTs measuring 1.5" finished, from my 'Charming Stars' quilt, this is going to be a sewing case

I also have a tin that is full of HSTs that have been cut from various stars blocks & projects. I know some quilters would throw these out but I can't bring myself to as they represent money paid for fabric so I am trying to think up small projects that I can make to use them up.


As you have seen before I've made a few of these bags - this was to use up some of the 2.5" squares, the trouble is, since I've made these I've added a load more squares to the box!


These Wild & Goosey blocks are great for using up irregular shaped pieces so I am keeping going with these.


I've got 'Speedwell' cut out so now to sew it!


and I've added 2 more blocks to my 'Splendid Sampler'

3 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

You certainly have been busy, so many projects.

Sue said...

I too have lots of scrap pieces. I use them as backing for ornaments, trims on toys and sewn together for dog toys. I love making toys. Guess I never grew up.

Melanie said...

I'm doing the Splendid Sampler too. Loving your blocks so far. I'm really enjoying it X