Thursday, 25 February 2016

Sewing, sewing, sewing!

At the moment I am continuing to sew up a storm! I am sewing to the exclusion of most other things, not that anything else is a particular priority just now!


This Christmas quilt is for DD and is being made from fabric I'd already cut out but lost the pattern. The new quilt pattern is from a book called 'Pretty Patchwork Quilts' by Cyndi Walker and is called 'Shooting Stars'. It is made up of 12  left hand blocks and 20 right hand blocks. I have now finished the 12 left hand blocks and have started on the 20 right hand blocks.


In between doing other things I am adding to my 'Wild & Goosey' blocks (a Bonnie Hunter pattern)

Moda Bonnie & Camille 'Miss Kate'

I have started 2 'Block of the Months' although one of them is 2 blocks a week!


The first one is The Splendid Sampler (free)which is 2 blocks per week and had has been organised by Pat Sloan. There are 80 designers involved in this and there are over 16,000 people following the Facebook page! and every person that has uploaded photos to the page has used different fabrics and/or had a slightly different take on the blocks. It is going to be so much fun to see how it all develops. It isn't too late to join the party as we are only up to block 4 which has been released today. 


These blocks are Bonnie Hunter's Boxy Stars and have been from a Moda Patisserie  jelly roll. Again I'd started using this jelly roll for something else and changed my mind (that's what being a Libra does for you)


I've finished all the 6" blocks but have to sew them into the 12" blocks and as they are sashed and I didn't have anything suitable in my stash, on Tuesday I went shopping. I went to Patchfinders in Poynton which is about a 25 mile drive from Northwich. Patchfinders used to have a shop in Cheadle Hulme but moved to Poynton in September. didn't get to go when they first moved as I had broken my foot. Their new premises are huge and the range of fabric is fantastic! So if you are in the area they are well worth a visit!. 

Usually I have an idea what colour sashings I want to use but in this case I didn't (other than a vague idea of mid brown), so when I ended up with this gold fabric I was surprised but it is perfect and I love the border fabric which is Moda Butterscotch & Roses.


These 2 blocks are from the other BOM I am doing. This is a Barbara Brackman free BOM from her Civil War Blog called Westering Women. We are up to block 2 so this one isn't too late to join either.


This layer cake is Moda Larkspur by 3 Sisters. I love, love .love 3 Sisters fabric and I particularly love this one. I want to make a Moda Bake Shop pattern called 'Speedwell' by Nicola Dodd. I needed some yardage as well and that came this morning so I can get going with it now.



This is a portable quilt 'wall' for the 6" blocks for the The Splendid Sampler BOW, I've just got to sew up the binding.


And this is the second quilt I made from the Moda 'Boutique' jelly roll I had already started.

7 comments:

Rose Marie said...

Wow .... you have done a lot this month. Feels good to get back to sewing, doesn't it!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

You have been doing lots of sewing! Keep it up. Nice projects!

Jayne Honnold said...

Your blocks are beautiful, and I admire your industriousness - that's a lot of sew-a-longs to keep up with! Our tastes are similar, as I, too, am a big fan of 3 Sisters. Happy sewing!

mamasmercantile said...

Now that is a lot of sewing, they are such great projects.

Nicola said...

Wow! You have been busy! I love 3 Sisters too :)
Really enjoying watching your progress. Hope the foot is all healed up with no problems :)

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Wow 2 blocks a week is going to make an incredible quilt!! They all look fabulous, especially the civil war ones :)

Sue said...

I really wish I could do two or three things at once. I have a cross stitch project and a knitting project and a sewing project all going now and I would love to work on all of them, but must choose.