Sunday, 12 July 2015

Recent crafting activity!

I thought I would catch you up on my recent crafty doings.

I have been taking part in a shawl swap organised by Elizy Art Crochet that is due to complete this coming week.  

I completed the knitting of my shawl yesterday and have blocked it today. This is the first time I have completed a whole shawl and it is the first time I have blocked anything using blocking wires.


The pattern is Buttermere shawl by Victoria Magnus. It was any easy knit but I still managed to make mistakes. I have been worried about this because my swap partner is an experienced knitter, especially of shawls. I hope she likes it.


On Monday the Oh! Bearded One had to go to Builth Wells for work. Builth Wells is about 2 and a half hours away from where we live in Northwich so rather a long car journey! I was invited along for the ride! I got some knitting done along the way! 

Builth Wells is a lovely little town in Mid Wales and I had a lovely few hours pottering about. I found a wool shop selling not just wool. I bought the quilt patterns shown above. They are actually foundation piecing patterns and they were half price at £2.25 each!


The yarn worked out at 75p per skein!


The patterns were 20p each from a charity shop - all 1980's patterns but still very usable. 

I also bought a couple of novels and had a lovely lunch!


I have been working on 'Charming Stars' this week. I've quilted this top in 3 pieces 'as you go'. I finished hand stitching the backing on pieces 1 & 2 and tidied up the machine quilting. I've still a bit more to do in that department as you can see. I've machine quilted the 3rd piece and I've got to finish the hand quilting in the middle of each star before I attach the 3rd piece to the rest of the quilt.
  

I've gone through my finished quilt tops and have decided to pass some of them onto worthy causes that can use them instead of them sitting in my wardrobe doing nothing, especially as I don't want to quilt them. 


I have finished this little quilt and it will also be off to a charity.


And I've sewn the binding on this quilt so this one is completely finished.


Shopping & days out coming soon!

6 comments:

mamasmercantile said...

The shawl is beautiful, I am sure your partner will love it. Sounds like a great day out, there is nothing nicer than browsing a craft shop in a different town. Sounds idyllic especially picking up bargain price wool.

Wendy said...

it looks like you have been busy! The shawl is lovely. you got some great bargains in wales!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I think the shawl is lovely! Delicate stitches.

Terry said...

Your charming stars quilt is just lovely! I really like the look of that last quilt too! :0)

Elisabeth D said...

It's a lovely shawl :) Your partner will love it I'm sure, especially that lovely colour. Thank you so much for taking part in the swap, it's been a real joy to organise and it is so nice to see the shawls reach their new homes xx

Deb Hickman said...

Thank you soooooo much, Ailsa. I absolutely love my shawl, the colour is right up my street and your knitting is so neat, jut perfect. I'm off to show it off in Instagram now and thank you for my cute note pad and chocolates, I'm eating them now as I knit :-)
I saw that you visited Telford recently, that's not far from me, we love Blist Hill and Ironbridge town. Have a great week. Deb x