Tuesday, 11 November 2014

Life......

.................has rather got in the way over the last month/six weeks.

My Dad has been ill again. He came out of hospital just over 2 weeks ago, having spent 3 weeks in there and he has been back in nearly a week again. He has had 5 hospital admissions this year. He has a lot of health issues that interact with each other. 
Mum isn't coping looking after him at home so we have made the decision for him to go into a local Care Home.  We are hoping he stabilises out a bit, being looked after 24/7.

I have been doing a bit of sewing where I can. I joined Terry's Charming Stars along. I had a lot of charm squares from another quilt I'm making and I wanted to use them and this pattern was ideal. We are supposed to be doing 4 blocks a month but I've got rather carried away and done them all and also made 32 nine patch blocks to make a quilt large enough for my king size bed.



 The design layout isn't very clear on this photo but the stars form a diamond with a star in the middle and in each corner.
All the blocks are made and sewn into rows. I am going to 'quilt as you go' so I've sewn the rows into 2 x 2 rows and 1 x 3 rows. Today I've prepared the backing but I still need to prepare the wadding.


There is a good drop to the top, bottom and sides



I've finished all the blocks for these 2 quilts I'm making for presents and they have been arranged in rows ready for sewing into the tops.


I need to pull my finger out to get these finished, especially the first one as that is for Christmas.


I continue to look after 'Little Gromit' at least 3 days or nights a week, depending what shifts DD is on.

The flowers in this photo were from my birthday which was in October. It was the third year in a row that Dad was in hospital for my birthday  - some sort of record!

I am also doing some Christmas knitting!

8 comments:

Kath said...

I can't believe how little Grommit has grown!
I love all your quilts and the fabrics you chose. You have very similar taste to me. I long to make big quilts,but cannot face the quilting.
Looking forward to seeing how you finish them.

sunny said...

You've been quite busy! i signed up for the charming Stars, too, and once I started making them, I couldn't stop. I love the colors your chose - so cozy. I hope things get a little easier with your Dad.

mamasmercantile said...

That must have a been a very tough decision to make about your Dad, at least now he can get medical care on a full time basis. The quilts are amazing, fingers crossed you get them finished on time, love the fabrics.

Jill at emeraldcottage said...

Also wanted to say your quilts are really lovely :)
Jillxo

Diane-crewe said...

LIFE tends to do that every so often! glad things seem to be settling a little x GOSH he has grown!!... top looks good x

Terry said...

Your stars look great...I love the layout you used! I need to get back to working on mine, but I have a christmas quilt to finish first.

Lilasesazuis Gata said...

Seu bebê e artes sâo lindos!
beijos, Lígia

Sue said...

Wow, you are so busy. Hope things calm down with your Dad. The little tyke is growing so fast and he's adorable.