Saturday, 29 March 2014

A new friend!

Meet my new friend!


A Singer 201k hand crank sewing machine! A snip at £19.80 from a local antique and collectables centre.


The outside of the machine is worn but not in really bad condition but the inside of the machine looks pretty new considering it is 56 years old, rather like me really!


It's serial number dates it as August 1958, made in Scotland. 

Someone has stenciled 'BEC' on the bed of the machine. This was presumably one of its' owners and someone has had a go at trying to remove it and not been successful so I am going to call it 'Bec'.

I have wanted a hand crank machine for quite a while. I am very cross with myself for letting my Mum get rid of her Singer 99 hand crank machine which was in fantastic condition - I learnt to sew on that machine. I really would like a black Singer 201 or 99 but as this machine sews well I am very happy to have this for now until I am successful in obtaining just what I really want.

7 comments:

Sue said...

Don't you love scoring a special buy now and then? It makes my day. Have fun with Bec.

mamasmercantile said...

What a wonderful find, well done you, and a bargain as well.

Cathy said...

Wow, I have never seen a machine like this! What a find! So it works? It was born in the same year that I was. I guess I can tell you that I'll be 56 next month!
Cathy
CraftyCat

Helen McNaught @ AuntyHennys said...

She's a beauty! I checked out my Featherweight and found that she is actually two years younger than me! I love how these old machines sew and sew and sew. A hand crank is on my wishlist too! Have fun!

.x.Helen.x. said...

Ooo how lovely. And what a bargain. I was thrilled to find a cheap black 99k on ebay recently. It needs a bit of cleaning and oiling (its 100 years old this year!) but it worked the moment I turned the handle. I do love old machines!

Carie said...

Oh wow - what a find, and such bargain too. The black Singer's are pretty it's true, but I still think Bec is lovely!

Cheryl's Teapots2Quilting said...

I have a black Singer 201, but, it has the motor that can't come off the machine (and the wiring isn't connected, either). What a great hand crank. 201 hand cranks are much more rare. Have fun with your machine.