Tuesday, 31 December 2013

End to 2013!

Here we are, at the end of another year! Not the best year in my life! I am glad to see the back of it!

Here's to 2014! The only trouble is that I have a feeling 2014 won't go down in history as the one of the best either but we'll see!

The lows of 2013 were the issues I have had around work. As you may remember this time last year I was having a very bad time in the job I was doing, I went off sick on Jan 4th and left in Feb. I started a new job at the end of Feb and all was looking very good but unfortunately it wasn't to be and I left there in September. I haven't worked since and I am not going to be able to for the indefinite future due to my Dad's precarious health.

At the same time my job was going down the pan my Dad was really poorly again and was hospitalized again for nearly a month ( as he was in Oct 2012). He has recovered to a certain extent but is frail. He has made the decision to give up driving which now means I need to take Mum & Dad shopping and to any sort of appointment they may have as neither of them are able to use taxis or public transport due to their lack of mobility. Dad still has to face 2 operations - fitting of a pacemaker and removal of a kidney stone.

I am not missing work at all but the loss of income is a bit of a worry, although over the years I have found when it comes to money something usually comes along. I still have no desire to return to nursing which is amazing considering how important it was to me for so many years.

Anyway, on to other things! 


I took into my head that I must have a white Christmas tree with gaudy decorations for my sewing room. I was lucky enough to get this one half price in Paperchase.


On the quilty side I have managed more finishes this year.


My 9 patch quilt made from Moda Etchings. Don't you just love the Oh! Bearded One's feet?


Early in the year I jumped on the 'Scrappy Trips around the world' bandwaggon. I love this pattern and have started another one for me. When I started this quilt I didn't have anyone in mind for it but it became apparent it would suit my Dad very well so I finished it in time to give it him for Christmas. He was very pleased with it. The fabric used was 1 & a half jelly rolls - Moda Blessings & Moda Peace on Earth. 


This year's highlight was DD announcing she is to have a baby (which is due on Jan 21st). As she was awaiting an appointment to see about IVF, this was fantastic news.


 Meg & Molly have been faithful quilty companions and I hope they continue to be in 2014.

Have a safe, peaceful and Happy New Year!

16 comments:

Cardygirl said...

Happy new year...2014 sounds like it will hold some changes for you...I wish you well!

Diane-crewe said...

hope you are able to find some peace in 2014 xx and LOTS of fun with the new grandchild xx

julieQ said...

I hope you are Ok with no nursing, and am glad you are having some time off to help your dad...congratulations on your soon to be Grandbaby! And Happy New Year!!

Terry said...

Happy New Year! :0)

Maria said...

Happy New Year!
Love your finished quilts and the place you took the picture in, is it part of your house? Lovely.
I hope 2014 will be better for you. It does not look great financially around here either, but as you said, something always comes along when we need it.
Have fun with the soon to come grandbaby.

Maria said...

I left a comment earlier but blogger timed out, don't know if you got it. Happy New Year! Hope things will get better for you.

Linda Coleman said...

with all best wishes to you and your family for 2014, hope it is a better year for you.

sunny said...

I do hope 2014 is better for you, Enjoy spending time with your parents while you can. Happy New Year!

Anne Marieke said...

Wishing you all the best for this new year!

Janine said...

You've made some beautiful things over the year, even though you've been so busy and your tree looks wonderful. I really hope 2014 turns out well and that you find plenty of time to craft and spend time with the baby when it arrives :)

Glinda ♥ said...

I hope 2014 brings you happy times and how exciting for your DD - good luck with everything :)

Wendy said...

Sounds like you'll have a busy year. Wish you all the best in the coming year. New grandbaby is very exciting.

Carie said...

Your quilts are beautiful! Here's to a happy 2014 with lots of lovely baby snuggles!

Anna said...

happy new year
those quilts are beautiful, how do you find the time. love to all the family.x

Anita said...

I too won't miss 2013, as it started off fantastic and ended pretty yuck. 2014 will be tricky for 6 months and then hopefully all will be good. We sound like we're having the same issues....but on a happy note, there is always craft work!! lol
Enjoyed reading your post.
Cheers, Anita.

Maggie said...

Sorry to hear 2013 was not good for you. Wishing you a happy healthy 2014. Congratulations on your daughters news. I love both those quilts. I love the round the world pattern xx