Tuesday, 24 September 2013

Summer - Part 2

Northwich isn't a big town, it has a population of about 20,000-21,000. It is easy to walk from one side of town to the other in less than an hour (I have done it but not not recently).

In the 21 years I have lived here I've seen a lot of changes, very few for the better unfortunately. We have lost the cinema, the one & only central hotel and lots of shops in the town centre as a result of the recession. The 1960's magistrate court and the Memorial Hall have also gone (no great loss as they were the most ugly buildings out). The Memorial Hall is being replaced by some sort of cultural centre! 

We do have a museum! I have never visited until this summer. It used to be called the Salt museum but it is now called Weaver Hall museum. It is housed in the old workhouse and the facade is rather attractive (there aren't many old buildings left in Northwich as they had a tendency to disappear into holes in the ground due to salt mining!)


I decided it was high time I went and had a look. It is only a small museum but it is interesting and worth a visit.



 This rusty looking bit of metal is a salt pan (I can't remember anything else about it)


 This painting hangs in the museum and depicts the area where I live. It used to be farmland before they built the housing estate that I live on.



The day I decided to walk to the museum was very hot and sunny.


This photo shows the view across the river Weaver where the only central hotel & the cinema used to stand. They has been knocked down and a Waitrose is being build. A new marina is also being build which is good, hopefully more river traffic will stop on its way to & from the Anderton Boat Lift.

On other news it looks like the job situation has sorted itself out - I'm job hunting again but this time I am definitely only going to do agency work, I can't take the stress!


3 comments:

Phyllis said...

Looks lovely. And you are right, things do not always change for the best.

Lindsay said...

You could of called in for a brew, chances are you walked past my front door to get to the museum

Little Penpen said...

Looks like a great day!! Thanks for stopping by my blog today. ps... I looked at your hexagon quilt blog, too. Oh my!!! gorgeous!!!