Saturday, 21 September 2013

Summer - part 1

As you are aware I've been missing over the summer from Blogland so here is my summer in many parts.
I have made a determined effort this summer to get out and about to see things that I've not seen before so I am showing some of the places I've been.

 I had to go to a meeting for work which was held in a medical centre in Stoke-on-Trent (I have been working in this area). If you like pottery you will be aware Stoke-on-Trent is famous for making every type pot & plate imaginable.


This wall art shows a scene from Stoke's history, it's a shame that it is so worn.

Every industrial town in Britain had Public Houses or pubs like this one. Unfortunately they are shutting at a rate of knots, especially in town centres. Most of the pubs we go in do food so we go to eat rather than just drink.

DD & I visited the Gladstone Pottery Museum, also in Stoke. It was a very interesting visit and I learnt quite a bit about the pottery industry. The whole of the area of Stoke-on-Trent were covered in this type of brick 'bottle' chimneys, very few survive now. 


DD had a go at making a flower. These flowers were made by ladies on piece work, they got so much per dozen





There are a lot of You Tube videos showing how these flowers are made and painted


A lot of famous names of the pottery world such as Wedgewood and Moorcroft have shops and museums. It is my intention to visit them sometime. Stoke-on-Trent is only about 40 minutes from where we live so there really isn't any excuse!

2 comments:

Kath said...

how interesting. Your daughter did a very good job with her rose!

Chel @ Sweetbriar Dreams said...

I've seen these roses on top of the pottery but never seen them in the raw state. What a great post showing these fragile flowers x