Sunday, 21 April 2013

A liitle bit of....


......... dressmaking!

Sorry I've been gone for a while - google problems (which aren't resolved but have got round them and trying to get on with making things!)

I've been inspired by the Great British Sewing Bee! I haven't done any dressmaking for over 25 years. I started off dressing making, I have a CSE grade 1 in needlework!!! I'm really enjoying the Great British Sewing Bee.

DD wanted some fabric to make a Minnie Mouse skirt for a party she went to today so we went to Leon's fabrics in Chorlton, Manchester last Saturday. Well! I couldn't help myself, surrounded by all this fabric.


I no longer own any dressmaking patterns, I got rid of them years ago, anyway, I'm a totally different shape now so I bought a simple skirt pattern to start off with - New Look 6843. I've always found New Look patterns easy to use and because there are several sizes in the pattern there is lea way for resizing to fit. 


So here you are! A wearable skirt! It isn't perfect but I'm well chuffed that I haven't forgotten the necessary skills.

I added about an inch to the front to allow for my tum. Next time I make it I'm going to make it longer. I've bought enough of this fabric to also make the dress shown below.


I bought this pattern & yarn from my LYS yesterday. The colour will go nicely with my new skirt, as well as quite a few other things in my wardrobe.




So next I'm going to get started on this!

I've got the bug!

3 comments:

Kath said...

I love that dress, I had one just like it in the 70's. I used to make all my clothes but it was a way of being fashionable on a shoestring, but nowadays fabric is so expensive.
You did a good job on your skirt!

Phyllis said...

Lovely skirt! Isn't the Great British Sewing Bee wonderful?! Who do you think will winn tomorrow night? Ann? Lauren?

Jane Galley said...

I'm still trying to get the confidence to make something for myself,well done on your skirt