Thursday, 10 January 2013

All Over


It's all over! I've resigned and gone off sick as I can't stand it any more. This job has got more and more stressful over the last 3 months and I'm not up to it. This care home is too difficult and has too many problems but the company isn't recognising that. I've only gone off sick because the company didn't have the courtesy to have a face to face discussion with me before they advertised my job. I had made my mind up that it wasn't the job for me and I had no trouble accepting that my line manager was going to accept my resignation , it is best for me and best for the home. What I'm upset about is the fact that my line manager let me work for 3 days as if nothing had happened and that if I has second thoughts I may have had a chance of rescinding my notice if I wanted to but behind my back the e-mail (not a formal letter) had gone to HR, a letter had been issued (that I received today) and my job had been advertised! Also because it was in the company's best interests they wanted me to partially work as a nurse on the floor, rather than a manager. I feel too stressed to work safely as a nurse at present, also my Dad has been in hospital since Saturday with a kidney stone (due to work I haven't been able to visit him). He came out today and I want to be around for both Mum & Dad.
I am supposed to work 8 weeks notice but I am going to stay off sick for at least a month and have a break. I've not had a proper break for over a year as every holiday I've had has been interrupted by work in one way or another, then i intend to sign up with an agency which will allow me to earn money whilst I decide what I would like to do next.

Right, here's to the rest of my life, whinge over and MORE QUILTING, hurray!!!

10 comments:

CathHeswall said...

Been in the very same position as you and resigned / retired 12 months ago. Now indulge in as much quilting as I can fit in, go to craft fairs, meet nice people and enjoy life again. There is a whole world after being a Care Home Manager. Enjoy ! Regards Cath.

CathHeswall said...

Been in the very same position as you and resigned then retired from my post 12 months ago. Now indulge in as much patchwork as I can do, go to craft fairs, meet nice people and enjoy life again. There is so much more to do. Care Home Managers are hardly ever appreciated, I know that I wasn't. Take care and start to enjoy your quilting again. Regards Cath.

Linda Coleman said...

I hope that things improve for you soon and that a break will help. Best wishes

sunny said...

Yay! Take a deep breath, and then treat yourself to some lovely vacation time. You deserve it. Sleep in a few mornings, and get tons of quilting done - any maybe more blogging??? Take good care of yourself while you're in transition. Hugs.

pennydog said...

Good luck! I seriously wish I could dump in my job but as 85% of my wages go on bills and debts (before food) I really can't afford the risk :( My boss is really heading for a punch in the mouth today too. *deep breaths*

loulee said...

Sounds good to me.
I'm right there with you on the stress thing.

maggie-g said...

You deserve a long rest! It will be good to see what you will be quilting.

Quilting Grannie said...

I know you have been having difficulties at work from reading your blog. Seems like nursing can be the pits at times. I know for me at times it was. I walked out of a job at a dr's office that I really loved. But I could not take his temper. He was also our family physician. We talked about it later, but when he had an opening he would not hire me back, yet now he had told me I would really like a position that he has open right now. I am not biting that though. If nursing jobs are as plentiful there as they are here in America you will be able to find another job soon and probably a better one. I went to a nursing home after the dr's office job. The home was owned by a family and even though things were not really good all the time, I really loved that job and loved the people I worked with. Some of the people in the higher positions were the pits at times, but the owner found out about them and they were fired. Good luck. And just know you are not alone.

Nicola said...

Oh my goodness - what a start to the New Year!!! I was in a similar position myself a couple of years ago, and was on the verge of a breakdown due to the constant pressures of work and a tyranical manager. I left a job that for the most part I loved - my manager was an absolute nightmare to work with. I was fortunate to be offered another (much better) position working in the Community. Thanks to a VERY understanding GP I was signed off sick to enable me to remain off work until my new job started. 2 years on, my previous manager has been demoted (karma??) and I am so much happier, loving my job and loving my life again. Keep your head held high, and walk away from this company - something better WILL come along - and in the meantime? Spend time with family and friends who make you feel good about yourself. And if you get to come to Suffolk to visit a mutal friend maybe we could meet up for lunch!!!

Suzieq said...

I really feel for you. I've been in this situation too - I think many of us have. You're doing the right thing for your health and I hope you can soon relax and make the most of your 'me' time. Hope your Dad makes a speedy recovery too. Suze xx