Friday, 22 June 2012

Quilt Show

I'm on 2 weeks annual leave from work at present so when I found out about a quilt show that is on this week I thought I would go and have a look. I went on Wednesday afternoon and I had a lovely afternoon. The quilt show was held in the village of Gresford, near Wrexham, on the English/Welsh border. It is a very pretty little village.


The quilt show is divided between the church and the village hall and is held every year. I came to know about from the tutor on my workshop day on 9th June. She has a fabric stall here and I wanted some more fabric for my red and black squares quilt which was another incentive to go to the show.


The village has a big duck pond.


The pond is lovely and there were loads of ducks which really enjoyed being fed.


 The displays in the church.


Hexagons!


I love this quilt, I love the colours. This quilt was made by Dot Sherlock, my tutor on 9th June. The fabric is Moda Collections for a cause.


 

This quilt is called Jewel box and was made by Dot.

This quilt was also made by Dot. I didn't realise who had made these quilts until I looked at the catalogue this morning. 

 
This quilt was made by Dilys Fronks. 

This one is cute.

There were other crafts on display, embroidery, photography and knitting.




The main exhibit was this! The Meerkats. I love this piece and it has been shown at Festival of Quilts last year and Uttoxeter this year and goodness knows where else. There is an article about it in the July copy of British Patchwork & Quilting as well which I just happened to buy on Wednesday afternoon too.


One of the contributors is Dilys Fronks who is famous in the British quilting world, she has written books and often speaks at quilting gatherings.


The detail on this piece is amazing. I can't wait to see what this group has produced for the this years' Festival of Quilts.


Another famous British quilter that is part of the quilting group here, is Sue Briscoe. The group is very lucky to have such talent amongst them. One of Sue's books is on my Amazon wish list.

2 comments:

Linda Coleman said...

love the photos of the show
enjoy your time off work

Sue said...

What a great show!! Thanks for taking lots of photos. We enjoyed them.
Sue