Wednesday, 30 November 2011

Harrogate!

Well! we went to Harrogate on Saturday. We had a really nice weekend. This year it was rather windy, which was different from last year when we had to stay overnight because we got snowed in!

We went for the Knitting & Stitching show which is held every year in the International Conference centre which is in the heart of Harrogate. Historically, Harrogate was a Spa town, a place you went to take the waters, supposedly to heal from as many ailments as you can think of. These days it is more famous for Betty's tea rooms.


We British love our tea! If there is a problem to be solved we stick the kettle on and make tea. Betty's tea rooms take tea drinking back a era to when tea was served at 4 o'clock with cucumber sandwiches and dainty cakes


My friend, J and DD booked a table for Sunday afternoon for the 3 of us to have afternoon tea as part of my 50th birthday celebrations.


Here we are, with our afternoon tea laid before us!


By the time we had eaten our sandwiches and scone we didn't have room for the cakes so they were put in little boxes for us to take home with us. 


DD & myself


We had shown the staff the invitation that DD had given me for my birthday, they loved it and at the end of the tea they presented me with this little cake. Such a sweet gesture!

As for the show! We enjoyed looking around it but we didn't buy much this year. Money is tight so I only bought the fat eighths shown in the bottom picture and a yarn kit to crochet a scarf which I have started so hopefully photos when it is completed. DD bought a hat kit for me to knit for her as she doesn't knit but she loved the hat! We have decided to give this show a miss next year and concentrate on the Festival of Quilts at the NEC in August instead where there are many more fabric stalls as both J and I are much more into quilting than anything else at present.



On other news, I have received my Modern tablerunner swap. I absoluately love it! I love this fabric range (Moda Figgy Pudding) and the colours are perfect for me!

Look at the quilting!

Thank you, Sarah!
  Fat eighths to add to my Civil War fabric stash

2 comments:

Diane said...

Harrogate Betty's - Heaven!!! And Happy Birthday!!! xxxxx

Ulla's Quilt World said...

Hi! Greetings from Finland! Your quilts are so fantastic! It's so nice to find other quilters all around the world! www.quiltworld2.blogspot.com
Yours, Ulla