Sunday, 21 August 2011

I've been on holiday from work this week and DD has been on nights so I've had a good excuse to sew. Also I've received my 50th birthday present to myself - a new sewing machine!!


I wanted a computerised machine but I knew I wouldn't use anything really fancy. I've been wanting a new sewing machine for about a year now. My first machine was a Bernina 900 that my Mum bought me for my 18th birthday. I sewed on this machine for nearly 30 years. In 2008 I bought a Janome 7025 which is a fairly basic machanical machine, it is also a bit lighter than the Bernina which is useful if I take it out of the house for any reason. I have been really happy with this machine but I wanted a few more decorative stitches and an alphabet. I had already decided that I wanted another Janome (I feel Berninas are now overpriced). Over the last year I have been debating which model to buy, the choice was between a MC5200, a MC4900QC  or a DC4100. I was also aware that Janome had brought out the TXL607 which is replacing the DC4100. During August, on certain web sites there has been £100 off the DC4100 so I relooked at all the machines. I love the look of MC5200 and the MC4900QC but I know I won't use all the features on them and the 4900QC weighs 11kgs which I would find too heavy to lug about due to the athritis thing I've got going on. I thought the DC4100 would fit the bill (not too fancy but with what I wanted), especially with money off so I ordered one. There was a bit of a mix up between the shop I'd ordered from and Janome so the delivery of it was delayed by over a week. It came on Thursday. I opened the box and realised it wasn't a DC4100 but the newer machine, the TXL607. When I checked the web site the DC4100 is no longer available so I've got the newer machine at the same price as the DC4100, I'm well chuffed (very happy).



Sooooooo.........I've been sewing. Now I should have been working on my Santa Sack Swap (sorry, Lisa, you will get your swap) but I was very easily distracted by my wish to make a halloween quilt.


This quilt is a bit of a variation on a theme - surrounding a square within a square except I made 9 patches (one of my favorite blocks) for the centres of the squares. I used Marcus Brothers Wickedly Wonderful. I bought a 12 FQ pack in a Fat Quarter Shop sale 18 months ago or so. The top is now made up, the backing is ready so I've just got to quilt it. I can't decide whether to stipple it or to use the walking foot and a decorative stitch. I'll think about it.


The binding is now attached to Christmas squares, it just needs hand stitching down. I've also attached the binding to another little quilt that will be for wheelchair users at work in due course.


Also just to show I can finish knitted items, here is a beanie that is for Hats for Heros. These hats are for UK troops serving in places like Iraq where it can get very cold. Our LYS is co-ordinating the local effort.

4 comments:

sunny said...

Congratulations and Happy Birthday! What a lovely gift to yourself.

Linda Coleman said...

congrats on your new machine, hope you have many happy hours together

Benta At SLIKstitches said...

How lovely to get more than you expected. The 9 patch in a square is a really good effect

Miss 376 said...

What a great deal on your machine. Hope you have many happy hours with it