Monday, 21 February 2011

I've been up to this!

 Last week, on one of my days off I bought this magazine. In the village about 2 miles away there is a really good newsagents. They stock lots of craft magazines including ones form the US. It is a bit varible what they have in but generally we get most of the popular ones.

In this particular magazine there are several projects I like. This was one project I thought I could get on with straight away. I've wanted a bag for work that is a bit bigger that the average handbag but not as big as a holdall. Many of the handbags in the shops are too big and too expensive. I decided that this one would fit the bill.
 I've used the fabric left over from Mum & Dad's quilt that I made them from Christmas. This fabric range is Makower's Winchester.
 I'm really pleased with how it turned out and it is the right size. It is the first bag I've made like this and I think I will be making some more.


 On the same afternoon I made this little glasses case for my boss. She has some little off the peg reading glasses that she tends to leave by the computer. I thought a little case was just the thing and made it out of scraps. I'm going to make some more to sell at work but I need to resize the pattern because it isn't really big enough for the average pair of glasses.

 The week before last I bought 2 Moda Portobella Market Charm packs form Quilter's Trading Post & 2 metres of a medium design from the range from Lymington Fabrics. I've been following Melissa from Happy Quilting. She has designed a quilt along but me being me, I can't wait for her posts so I'm having a go on my own. I don't think it will be quite the same but the dsign will be near enough.

 All the bits are cut out, this is the first full block I've done and the the other 8 4 patch centre blocks are done. I think I am going to have a go at quilting this as a I go as the finshed quilt top will measure in the region of 48" if I don't put borders on it. I won't manage to quilt the whole thing myself and I can only afford to send certain tops to be quilted.

 I've joined in Bunny Hill's Henritta Whiskers free BOM. The fabric I am using is Moda Garden Party, I'm using a layer cake and some FQs, wool is also used in this project. This is going to be such a cute quilt and becuase there is some hand stitching as well as machine stitching I will really enjoy doing it. I have also got the blocks made for her design 'Postcard Cuties for Winter'. I've just got to get on the the applique and handstitching.

I've also finished the back of my waistcoat.

9 comments:

Terry said...

I love the bag you made! It's beautiful! :0)

annieb said...

You have been busy! Very pretty bag and blocks.

Miss 376 said...

Wow, you have been busy. The bag has turned out really well, I love the shape of it

Joyus said...

Wow you have been busy. That bag is just lovely :D

Nicola said...

Oh just love that bag - my goodness you've been so busy - have you had time to go to work?? Might try to get hold of that magazine - did I say I loved that bag??!!

Lyn said...

you have been busy!
love
Lyn
xxx

Blondie ~ Vintage Primitives said...

Love all the great things you have completed. The bags are terrific. You have a great eye for color.
Blessings to you
Blondie

Dolores said...

Love the bag. You have been busy.

Sue said...

You have been so busy! The bag is wonderful. I hope you make more of them.