Monday, 10 January 2011

My knitting

I was looking through my old blog posts the other day and I realised that, although I've started many handknitted items, I've finished very few. I start off really well but then I decide there is something wrong with the item, I either go off the pattern, decide I'm not going to wear the item, I don't think the item will fit properly or I go off the yarn or the colour.

Take this for example, I love the colour and the yarn.................

......................but I've gone off the pattern, I've decided I don't like the tie affair on it so it has been frogged...............

......................... and I had a look through my patterns and came up with this one. The pattern is from the 1980's and I bought it in a charity shop I think, or maybe on Ebay. The yarn used in it is long since not available but the tension is similar to my yarn, so I've cast on for it. I'm not going to do the pattern, I'm just going to knit it plain. The other thing I like about this pattern there is no shaping like in the body of it like there is in modern patterns, I can just knit straight up until the armholes.

I bought a white shirt with a ruffle doen the front and I want to wear a waitcoat with it so I have got to finish this one. It is a New Year so new start........... Ailsa, finish a knitted item!!!!!!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Miss 376 said...

I've got loads of patterns going back through the generations to my great grandmother. I have knitted one of the 1930's pattern. Hope you get this one finished, the yarn is a lovely colour

loulee said...

I promised myself a knitted gilet this year, but I was planning a nice fast chunky knit. Like you, when I make stuff for me, I go off it, but if I knit for others, a finish is no problem.

Sue said...

That yarn is beautiful. I need to get started on something. I have more trouble getting started than finishing. My friend and I used to work well together. She likes to start thing, but not finishing. I'm the opposite. Together we made a good team.

two hippos said...

Good luck with the knitting, I too have a languishing Cardigan nearly knitted!

Heidi said...

Hello Ailsa! Thank you for visiting my blogs. A little winter decorating is so cheerful after the Christmas glamour is gone. I have a tutorial for the scarfs on my old handwork blog too.

Love the yarn! Love the heather look of it. I have to admit that I really though that vest was adorable and could you not have changed the way it closed? I think it will look great for the new pattern too.

I have just taught myself to crochet and am finding it great fun. I do not knit either but love knitted items. I hope you finish this quickly so you can enjoy wearing it.

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi