Wednesday, 22 December 2010

Doings from a snowy world

We had another 3-4 inches of snow overnight. That's not a lot of snow in the big scheme of things but for Cheshire it's quite a lot and we live on hill it has made coming up and down the road tricky. We were going to go out but we've put it off until tomorrow.

I have done the hugest pile of ironing instead. I've ironed summer clothes so that shows how long some of it has been hanging around. I would just like to vac and wash the floors before Christmas & I'll be a happy woman. Sad aren't I?

Because of the Oh! Bearded One I'm not working. The week after we found out about his eye I was on holiday and I have a week off sick to be at home with him. I don't go back to work until Boxing Day.

 A couple of weeks ago I ordered a couple of Moda scrap bag - Park Avenue and Wild Rose. I had it in mind to make some placemats for the dining table from the Wild Rose but when I opened the bag I was disappointed to find only 2 colourways and a few repeats of some fabrics so I opened the Park Ave bag and found a bit more variation. I laid out both bags together and realised that they would work together. I then spend a week or so trying to decide what to make. I've settled on a lap quilt using rail fence blocks. I've started making it up.

I cut all the strips down to 2.5 inches and sewed the strips together in 3s. After they had been pressed I cut them into 6.5inch segments which gives 6.5 inch blocks. The pieces are now ready to sew into blocks of 4.


There were some strips that weren't as wide as 2.5 inches and I had a couple of strips left from making the pieces so I cut these remaining strips into 10.5 strips and stitched them together. This will be made into a table runner.
I need to get some co-ordinating fabric for borders.

2 comments:

Quilting Grannie said...

I have been in enjoying your blog the last few days. My son lives in East Kilbride and when you mentioned someone going by train from Edinburgh, I decided to look further and see where you were from. My daughter in law works for Lifeways in Scotland mostly but also goes to the Newcastle office every 3-4 weeks. She is doing training for the carers.
Your Rail Fence pieces look good. Another daughter in law gave me a sweatshirt with fat quarters to cut and sew (quilt) on the shirt. I am working on it, but it is time consuming. Watch my blog for the finished product. I may do it in segments on the blog as it is taking so much time.

Miss 376 said...

Glad to hear your hubby is making good progress. Looks like you're making the most of being home too.