Monday, 20 December 2010

Christmas is coming!

I hope all your Christmas preperations are going to plan and the weather isn't going to stop families getting together. SofM is due back on the train from Edinburgh tomorrow. I am looking forward to seeing him.

The Oh! Bearded One came back from hospital last Thursday. He is doing quite well, he has got better each day although he has had pain at night and we haven't had a particularly good night since he came out of hospital. That will improve, it just takes time. He is coming to terms with only having one eye, probably better than I am. We don't know yet what type of cancer cells were in the tumour, he has to wait until an appointment comes through from our local hospital which we think will be in about 3-4 weeks time.

I am having times when I am extremely sad about it. I was looking at photos last night and I got very upset looking at photos of him, things will never be quite the same again. I know we have a lot to be grateful for and there a lot of people having more problems than we are but I suppose I just haven't adjusted yet.

He went to have his other eye tested today as he now needs glasses for driving and distance. Our bank account is now a lot lighter and next month we will have to pay for prescription sunglasses as he needs to protect his eye from UV light. Up to now he has been bad at having his eyes tested but he will be having a test every year. If anyone is fair skinned, blue eyed and over fifty make sure they are having their eyes tested routinely. This tumour possibly would have been picked up much sooner.

I still have things to show you but need to take photos and I need daylight so I will try tomorrow. I'm off to finish sewing on the binding on Mum & Dad's quilt, 2 more sides to do!

4 comments:

Terry said...

I know what you mean about the sadness. John lost his leg over a year ago and sometimes the fact that it's gone still takes my breath away. It does get easier though.

QuiltSue said...

This must have been a heck of a shock for you both, and I'm sure it will take time to come to terms with.

Quilting Grannie said...

Thanks for following my site! I am in the process of making a sweatshirt jacket with small squares. My dil sent me the shirt, the fat quarters and the pattern. I have it started. Will be taking pics as I go and posting them after the Holidays.
I am also a nurse.
Barbara

Sue said...

Change isn't easy and especially when a loved one is in pain, but you both have much to be happy about. You found the tumor. It could have been so awful if it went undetected.

You both are in out thoughts this holiday. We hope having your family around will make things better.
Sue