Sunday, 21 November 2010

My first quilt

This is the very first quilt I started. I went to my LQS and chose the fabric. I had already chosen the block and my LQS had it made up. Ella (the LQS owner) was really helpful and set me up. Ella continues to be very supportive of my endeavors.

I got all the blocks made up, they weren't too bad for a first effort, it was the sashings that I made a mess of.

I was all for spliting the blocks and sashing into 2 little quilts to use as wheelchair quilts at work but The Oh! Bearded One saw it and really liked it and wanted me to finish it for us to us at home.

I've quilted a lot of it in the ditch and I am now working at outlining the blocks. I'm not sure whether I will need to do some other quilting on it as there are some bigger spaces around the points of the stars and I'm worried about the batting moving about. What do you think?

7 comments:

Sue said...

It looks really pretty. I can see why he wanted to keep it. I've only done one quilt, so I can't offer any advice.

julieQ said...

I like it! I think it is a fun first quilt...so much better than my little nine patch!!

StitchinByTheLake said...

For a first quilt you did a great job - far better than my first quilt! Your sashing and your borders will need some quilting too just to stabilize them. I've found that you can never do too much quilting but you can do too little. blessings, marlene

Quilting By Jeannie said...

You are doing great. Good choice of colors, and your "bearded one" was right about keeping it. Have fun quilting it.

Rose Marie said...

Great job and I like your first quilt!!!

If you want to, you can do straight diagonal stitching from corner to corner for each block and through the corner stones and onto the next block ... and so on.

Quayquilter said...

It looks good in the photo.
I'm the Bernina Nova owner; it was bought in February 1981. It's my workshop machine but I often use it for general piecing as well. It was Which's best buy at the time.
But usually the new Janome Horizon is in the cabinet.

Melanie said...

Great job. I think as long as the blocks are outlined (in the ditch) it should stay together fine. I've got quilts with far less quilting in them and they have gone through the wash fine.