Thursday, 26 August 2010

Festival of Quilts 2010-Part 1

Here is part 1 of my offering from this year's Festival of Quilts at the NEC. I am showing quilts that spoke to me in some way.


This quilt is called Ground Zero.



This was designed by Lois Jarvis and it represents the human impact of the World Trade Centre deaths. Each piece in the lone star is a photo of one of the 621 people who died.

It made a big impact.


This exhibition was of 900 christening type bonnets which have been made to commemorate the hundreds of convict women who were shipped to Australia. This display is a fraction of the bonnets that have actually been made. 14,000 have been completed but the artist, Christina Henri, wants a total of 25,566.

Each bonnet has been embellished in a very individual way using embroidery, crochet and various other stitching methods.


The next 2 photos are of items that caught my eye.

This quited book is full of clothing labels, there was also a lap quilt on display using this type of label.

Cakes made from fabric - much less fatening!
And look, I met on of my quilting heros - Lynette Anderson! I really wanted to meet her and I did! I also got her new book, signed no less!!


















1 comment:

Sue said...

Those were fascinating. I especially like the Ground Zero quilt. It's very special.