Monday, 8 June 2009

Look what I've been up to!

This is my 200th post! Full of fun stuff!!

Last week I bought this mag -a handbag special. Now I've never made a bag but I'm fascinated by them and I really enjoy looking at ones others have made.

Now I fell in love with this one. I also knew where I could buy this fabric. I was in my LQS last week and this fabric was being cut into fat quarters when I was visiting. I had fallen in love with it at the time so when I saw this pattern I knew where I was heading as soon as I could. I headed to my LQS this morning.

Here are the fat quarters. I bought the calico I also need on Friday when we went to Hobbycraft at Bridgemere garden centre near Nantwich.

But before I start this bag I have decided to make a quilt for the inside of my new car. The seats of my new car are leather which will be cold in the winter, also I carry Beavers in my car when we go on trips. Due to UK law children under a certain height have to sit on booster seats and as most Beavers are under this height I have to have these booster seats in my car. I don't want them to damage the leather on the seats so I thought a quilt would give some protection from both the seats and mucky feet (Beavers aren't proud where they put their feet). That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it - to start another quilt! Do we need an excuse to start a new quilt?

I decided I wanted something quite mordern looking and I thought batiks might fit the bill. This is the fabric I bought - John Louden batiks charm pack and a red tie dye looking fat quarter. The charm pack contained 50 charms 2each of 25 designs, half black on white and half white on black. The only problem is that this pack wasn't laser cut so they weren't very straight. I cut them down to 4.5 inches to square them all up.

This is the first block I made

And I managed to make 2 more. I half completed 4 more as well. I can't believe I'm making a black, white and red quilt. I've seen quite a few on blogs and thought 'very nice but not for me' but here I am, making one!

This morning before I went to my LQS and whilst I watched 'Homes under the Hammer' and 'To buy or not to buy' I finished the hand stitching on this - my contribution for Spring Blooms mini quilt swap

It's now ready for the borders. I need to get a move on as it has to be in the post by 21st June but that's me all over, last minute as usual.







9 comments:

Sue said...

I made a bag years ago for my MOm and it turned out very nicely. Lately I've been thinking of making one for myself. Those are lovely fabrics.

loulee said...

That red white and black looks stunning.

Andrea said...

Ooh I haven't seen that mag yet - will pop to WHSmiths later I think. Any old excuse to start a new quilt - lol ! Looking good.

.x.Helen.x. said...

Ooooh the black red and white quilt blocks look lovely

Ruth's Place said...

Those quilt blocks are just stunning!

Miss 376 said...

The quilt will go very nicely in the car. Look forward to seeing the bag too

JannArt said...

Love your new fabrics. Can't wait to see the bag. I have quite a weakness for handbags. I think you are very brave to let anyone in your new car let alone Beavers! Whoever receives your spring quilt swap will be very lucky.

Chookyblue...... said...

congrats on your 200 posts........

Melanie said...

The daffodil applique looks gorgeous. The Hobbycraft fabrics will look wonderful as that bag. Are you making the red white and black quilt as part of the Black and White Challenge?

I think you did an excellent job with the excuse for another quilt. I may start to season theme mine when I have made more. LOL

Thanks for visiting my blog, sorry it has taken me so long to catch up with you.