Tuesday, 26 May 2009

My car's died!

I've had to go out and buy a new car today! My old one has had a heart attack and died! It was a Fiat Stilo, I've had it since new and I loved it!

It broke down on Friday and I had to get the AA out to it. The AA man said it was the water pump and towed me to my usual garage. The garage owner tried to start it to have a look at it Fri/Sat and it made the most awful expensive noise - you know the one that is going to cost in excess of a £1000 - new valves and new pistons, cam belt and not to mention the offending water pump and all that expensive labour.

All this spoilt the garage owner's bank holiday weekend. He is a really nice guy and has been really helpful in keeping all our cars on the road at reasonable rates.

Anyway this afternoon I had to decide what to do for the best - repair it at an excess of £1000, knowing the trade in value is only around £600 and carry on driving it or cut my losses and buy a new car. On my way home form work I called into the garage where we have bought all our cars in recent years (I've had 3 Fiats and my husband 2) to see what kind of deal they could offer me. I was a very lucky girl as they offered me £1000 trade in on the Stilo even though the car is unroadworthy and a reasonable finance deal. I am buying a 2008 Fiat Bravo which has the feel of the Stilo but looks better. It's black and a sporty version - the nearest I'll get to a sports car!

I've just got to work out what we are going to cut back on to pay for it. Making SofM starve whilst at uni maybe an option if he doesn't get a job!

5 comments:

Sue said...

Have fun with your new wheels.

Krafty Kathryn said...

Oh dear. It's always difficult when this happens. Hope the financial stretching isn't too stressful. At least the new car sounds very nice.

enthusiastic crochetoholic said...

As long as you don't cut back on essentials like crafting materials and wool!
Making your son work his way through uni is character building or so my parents told my brother!

Sew Create It - Jane said...

Sorry to hear of your loss...
I suppose the silver lining in all this is that it is a great time to buy a car. Dealers are making great offers to get cars sold.

Nanny Ree said...

Oh dear hope you get some transport sorted soon!! Marie x