Sunday, 22 June 2008

This & that

Look what the Oh! Bearded One came home with, for no particular reason the other night. My Beloved isn't know for being very romantic, he is very down to earth and practical about emotions. I spent years thinking he was keeping things back but he doesn't. He just accepts what life chucks at him and gets on with it so when he does something romantic out of the blue, it is very special and I really appreciate it. The flowers are now more open but are going strong.


Just recently I haven't talked much about anything crafty because I have got fed up talking about something I've started but not finished. I wanted to show something I've finished so here it is!

A crocheted blanket for either a premature baby or to go over a baby in a car seat etc. It is done in some cheap baby DK and a size 4.00mm (F) hook. The pattern can be found here. I changed the border as there seemed to be too many stitches and it wasn't laying flat and I didn't like so I omitted the middle row and altered the way I did the other 2 rows.

It was very quick to and I've started another one and bought more yarn for yet another one. I will be giving them to our local hospital. There is a stall selling donated knitted and crocheted items for babies and small children. The money raised goes towards things for the special care baby unit I think.


Recognise these 2 yarns? I bought them at a show last year (can't remember which one, If you are really interested you could find out from a previous post). Of course I haven't done anything with them.

Yesterday afternoon I decided to do something with the lower one. I am crocheting it into a shawl and am using a pattern I found through Raverly called Muffin's stole. The blog I got it off is Norwegian but the photos were quite clear so I was able to follow what to do. Knitting or crocheting a shawl was one of my 2008 goals so if I finish it I will have achieved at least one of this year's goals. I haven't achieved any of them yet and we are half way through the year!

I have decided to bow out of Nicole's 2 colour quilt challenge as I really haven't got time at present to do it and I really want to finish what I've got started. Once I've finished one of the quilts I've got on the go I will start this 2 colour quilt as I am keen on it and I've got an idea I want to try out on it.

6 comments:

clarabelle said...

Lovely little blanket!

I also have a husband who is not of a romantic 'bent'. I don't like gushy stuff either, but I would love to have received those flowers! Somehow they just mean so much, don't they...

enthusiastic crochetoholic said...

I think that unexpected flowers are far more romantic than the token every Friday night bunch of flowers that some people get.
The shawl looks really nice and I think the colours that you have chosen for the Muffin stole are just gorgeous.

.x.Helen.x. said...

The blanket is gorgeous!

Carole said...

What a lovely bouquet! Beautiful crochet piece! Thanks for sharing!

Kathy said...

The flowers are beautiful! I agree it's more special when it's from the heart and not from habit.

I love the yarns. Can't wait to see the shawl.

Chocolate Cat said...

What beautiful flowers! How lucky are you? Love the little baby blankets , that is such a generous thing to do. I also find I get sick of not having finished anything, I always have plenty on the go but don't seem to have the time or are as quick as others who are forever showing completed projects!!