Friday, 16 May 2008

I've got it!

Look what I received in yesterday's post - my fabric for Nicole's 2 colour challenge. It's a 6 fat quarter pack called 'Porcelain Paisley' from The Cotton Patch. I was complaining about the slowness of the delivery of these, Helen pointed out that they will be extra busy because of the Malvern quilt show so I apologise and I will order from them again as they have some lovely fabrics and lots of good equipment.

I am hoping to make a start on this quilt this coming weekend. I should have been off work all weekend but we are short tomorrow so I am working tomorrow morning but I'll try to start it tomorrow afternoon.

I am adding 3 other fabrics as I want to make disappearing 9 patch blocks as they look complicated but are so easy to do. The white fabric I already had and the blue spotty fabric I bought yesterday from one of my LQS, I am also going to use some of the blue Moda Marble fabric I have left from SofM's quilt. If I have time I would like to try some applique on this quilt but I'll have to see how the time goes as I want to have this quilt finished to take to the Czech Republic on July 19th for Eva, the Czech Scout Leader whose troop we are camping with.

This is a disappearing 9 patch block that I have made as part of a comfort quilt for my colleague at work. This colleague is having such a bad time and I wanted to how much I care and I thought this would be a good way of showing it.
The fabric is a Blackbird design for Moda but I'm not sure what the name is of the group of fabrics. I love it though. I have enough of these blocks to make myself a lap quilt as well.

This is the completed top. I need to cut the batting and the backing and get it quilted. I have ordered a walking foot for my new Janome sewing machine before I start quilting it. As I have never machine quilted anything before I am going to keep it simple and just quilt it in the ditch.
I don't know what to call it, any ideas? I will run a little competition and give a small prize (to be decided depending whose name is pulled out of the hat) to the name drawn out of a hat. Please leave your ideas on the comments bit of my blog. I will announce the winner on 26th May. I'd love it if you took part.


Look what else I've got!! This is a Moda Layer cake called 'Hemming House'. The 2 pieces of fabric are from the same range as the Layer cake and will be used as background on the blocks I am going to use. The quilt I am going to make from these is for our bed as 'Hemming House' incorporates my favorite colours. This is going to be a long term project and I am really looking forward to starting it.

As you can see I am completely in love with Moda fabrics, there are loads I like.
Don't forget my little competition!!


12 comments:

clarabelle said...

You have some really gorgeous fabrics there, Ailsa!

Your quilt, at a distance, reminds me of spring blossom. For me, it's not quite, but almost, cherry blossom, so that's my name for it!

enthusiastic crochetoholic said...

Well done. Your quilt is gorgeous. I think that it will cheer your friend up enormously. I love all the blue fabric colours for the new quilt also.
I sew like a chimpanzee but you are inspiring me to maybe try to do some sewing. Not quilts to start with though just something simple. I will have to dust off my late mum's Bernina and get someone to lift it up to the table. I foresee more mess in Jan's household!

Andrea said...

It's very pretty. I love floral fabrics. I am useless at naming quilts. Never mind - I'm sure she will love it and thank you for your thoughtfullness.

mandycharlie said...

Aren't you so very clever. I think I may have a little go at quilting this winter.

I thought as soon as I saw your lovely quilt that it reminded me of an Elizabethan Garden. With your greenery surrounding central architectural features. Our local castle is currently restoring theirs so you might get more of an idea with this link. http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/ConWebDoc.10729

An because of the complexity of your quilt, maybe it could be called "An Elizabethan Knot Garden". Knot gardens were all the rage and they do remind me so of quilts.

The Calico Quilter said...

Your disappearing nine patch is darling. Don't you love how something as simple as that makes a beautiful quilt? As for a name? I never name my quilts, just refer to them as "the purple one" or "the Thimbleberries one"! The pattern when viewed from a distance kind of reminds me of argyle, but you surely can't name it that! LOL I'm another Moda girl; just love all their fabrics.

Peg - Happy In Quilting said...

Just love your disappearing nine patch quilt, I have just completed one of those and I really enjoyed making it...thanks so much for dropping by my blog...

Rose Marie said...

Sweet quilt and the fabrics you used are gorgeous. What about "Lost Nines" for the disappearing 9 patch?

Valerie said...

I just love visiting your blog. Thanks for sharing.

Chocolate Cat said...

I think maybe a simple name in keeping with what it is intended for , maybe the 'comfort quilt'. I think it is just beautiful and will be much appreciated.

chook said...

your quilt is beautiful
I think it could be
called friendship blooms here
hugs Beth

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

Love all your quilt projects. I love Moda fabric as well - it is so lovely to work with.

My suggestion for the quilt name would be "(your friends name) Summer Garden" as the beautiful floral fabrics remind me of a garden - full of new growth and renewal. I am sure she will be thrilled that your care enough to make her something so personalised.

Anonymous said...

what about callin it "Heart to Heart"