Tuesday, 5 February 2008

Lent, a new beginning!

As you will be well aware, Lent is upon us from tomorrow. I want to try to treat Lent as a new beginning for my relationship with myself as well as with my God. God has forgiven my sins but I have to learn to forgive myself when I fail. We can be a lot harder on ourselves than God or other people are.

I read an article about depression last night and it made me think again about how I am dealing with my depression. I had already decided to give up chocolate for Lent but it is also a useful starting point to try to deal with other issues.

I have been suffering with depression for the last 5 years and although I have tried hard to not to rule my life, it does. I have realised I need to do even more to help myself. Excercise, diet and more routine in my day could well help. When I am on days off from work I tend to over sleep unless I have to get up for something specific. I have been waiting for this to get better on its' own but it isn't, I need to take more control so I am going to start setting my alarm and make myself get up. I hope to go back to achieving a lot more in a day like I used to before the depression kicked in. On the days when I get up for work I always feel much better generally, unless the hormones are being a pain in the $%&^.

Excercise is a biggy!! I am supposed to do stretching excercises for the arthritisy thing I have going on but I am not good at doing them. Research has shown that excercise is also very good for depression so I need to be much more proactive. 5-6 years ago, when I was trying to lose weight I was going to the gym 3-4 times a week so I know I can do it but with depression it is so easy to say 'Oh I'll do it tomorrow or I'll do it when I feel better etc, etc. I have got to bite the bullet and go back to formal excercise 3-4 times a week.

Stopping eating Chocolate for Lent is a way for me to start trying to change my eating habits slightly. My basic diet isn't horridous but there are areas to improve ie. eating more fruit & veg and reducing saturated fat intake which should automatically reduce by stopping eating chocolate. I am also worried about diabetes and heart disease as Dad suffers with both of these which increases my risks.

Wish me luck and please keep reminding me of my goals, it will help.

2 comments:

enthusiastic crochetoholic said...

I do wish you luck. Depression is an awful thing. I am guilty of over staying in bed, dog permitting. Since I retired it is hard to find reasons for getting up early. I now go to seated exercise class on Tuesdays and water aerobics on Thursdays (for my arthritis) and although some days it is hard to motivate myself to go I do feel better once I get there. Walking the dog can be a chore and some days I have to force myself into doing it but I do feel better once it is done. Try to get a bit of exercise no matter how small. I have found group things are better for me rather than solo performances at the gym which I found a million reasons not to do. I don't think I have depression I am just de-motivated and fed up with my life at the moment. What we need is a good dose of sunshine.

Kathy Wajerski said...

I'm with you on this. We can do it.

We're snowed in so I won't make it to Ash Wednesday services but I do not want to be on the road with 12 inches of snow and wind.

Zach's school is canceled at least so I will use that time to do evening prayers.

And I'm planning on getting some baking done today. Good, healthy baking.

Kathy