Wednesday, 5 December 2007

Belated photos

As you will be aware I haven't shown any photos of what I've been up to just recently so today I've got round to fiddling around with camera, memory sticks and computers.

So for photo 1 - this is one ball of two Regia sock wool balls I bought from John Lewis (Trafford Centre). I was so excited when I found that John Lewis had started selling sock wool. The choice is limited but never the less it is great that they have started selling it. The colourway is 5025, very soft, muted colours of pink, blue, fawn and cream. My friend, Cellostitcher, loved it so when I went again I bought her some. Also I know she has cast it on. I have had a go at casting it on but I wasn't happy with the pattern I was using so I frogged it and I am just leaving it at present, I'll come back to it when I have finished the mittens.

Every forenight a Cheshire library visits the site on which our Nursing home is situated. The residents of the site and the nursing home can then get library books. 2-3 weeks ago when it visited I borrowed a book on knitting for babies. Just about at the end of the shift I was flicking through it and one of my colleagues spotted some little stripy mittens and she said she would like some so like a fool I said I would knit her some. What you can see on the left is a pair of knitted mittens waiting to be finished off. DD saw them and wanted some so the one on the needle on the right is for her. The yarn is Jeager matchmaker DK which is 100% wool. It is really nice to knit with and you can tell it is wool, it has the slightly oily feel of wool. They've knitted up very quickly, one can just about be done in an evening.

This yarn I bought at the Knitting & Stitching show in Harrogate at the end of November. I have bought it specifically to knit Elizabeth Zimmerman's Surprise baby jacket, I also was able to buy a copy of the pattern. I am looking forward to having a go at this but it won't get started until after Christmas.


These 2 hanks of yarn were off the Hipknits stall at the show. The pinky tones are for socks for DD and the other is for myself.


I also picked up these balls of sock yarn. The 2 greeny ones are actual more blue in reality and they are for my Dad. He won't have worn hand knitted socks since he was a boy (he is 72 now) but as his circulation isn't all it couold be I am hoping they will keep his feet warm. It was my Gran that used to knit him the socks, she was an excellent knitter in her day and even up to her dying she was knitting squares to be made up into blankets for charity.

1 comment:

Kathy Wajerski said...

Lovely yarns.

And I really like those mittens. Are they a two-needle pattern? I've only done mittens on dpns before.

I can't wait to see the socks for your dad. I love that yarn.