Wednesday, 28 November 2007

What's that?

I am 'days off' from work at present (you may have guessed from the day trip to Harrogate) but I had to go into work for some training and for a meeting. Afterwards I decided to go to the Trafford Centre (it's only 20 mins from work down the M56/M60 if the timing is right, to miss the traffic).

Anyway, I started my shopping trip with a coffee in Starbucks. I sat and wrote a Christmas present list, once I had done that I whipped out a sock on my new, very cute needle. Within ear shot and eye line of me was a little boy of about 3 with his Mum and another lady. He was in his buggy. He started saying in a loud voice and pointing at me at the same time 'Mum, Mum, what's that, what's that? Mum was talking so didn't answer at first, when she did answer, her 'reply was ' I don't know'.

I had to chuckle to myself - A) because of the little boy asking, the fact that he was so obserant and B) I felt it is a sign of the times that young women don't recognise knitting when they see it.

1 comment:

enthusiastic crochetoholic said...

It is a sad sign of the times but hopefully through online blogs and knitting groups we knitters can reverse that trend. Spread the word ladies! I don't care if I am judged as slightly eccentric knitting and crocheting in public. If I can inspire interest as I knit then I am happy. It's usually a good conversation starter when I whip out my needles or hook! The ladies from my knitting group seemed to really enjoy the trip to Fibre and Clay last Saturday. I will make it there one day and perhaps we can meet and knit together when I do?